Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tabbouleh Love

If you are my friend you know how much I hate food chains.  I have a weird hobby of finding obscure restaurants and sometimes you just have to go with it.  One of my favorite foods in the world is tabbouleh.  Over the past few years I've become a connoisseur of good tabbouleh and I love my own version.  

Over a year ago I discovered The Health Nut Cafe.  It's inside the OU Fitness Center at the Hospital and if you're looking for a quick, healthy and quiet meal try it.  It's frequented by doctors and nurses so you know you're okay :)  I've gotten to know the owners, Cindy and Amir who are really great people.  Amir is Lebanese and one of his specialties is tabbouleh.  If you want really good tabbouleh - Amir makes some of the best I've had.  I asked him one day about his recipe and he laughed at me.  The recipe is his mother's who, although Lebanese, did not like the traditional salad decided since she was now American she would do it the "American" way.  I've recreated Amir's recipe for myself and I have it exactly how I want it.

Just so you know, this recipe is totally at your discretion.  Some people like plain tabbouleh, some like theirs full of oil, garlic and lemon (like me) and some like heavy parsley.  It's up to you and yes, you can add any veggies you want!

WARNING:  you really need to make this at minimum of one day ahead.  Two is best so that it allows the wheat to soak up the olive oil and lemon juice.  If you try making it too late, it will be crunchy.  I'm protecting you from crunchy tabbouleh.

Paula's Tabbouleh Salad
1 package tabbouleh wheat - not seasoned!  This will make a lot so cut down the amount if you need too.
1-2 heaping tablespoons pre minced garlic
1/4 c. good olive oil, plus more to taste
1 finely diced yellow onion
1 finely diced green bell pepper
2-3 diced roma tomatoes
1 small bunch parsley
1 bag lemons 
salt and pepper

1.  Place the dry tabbouleh wheat in a large bowl (or in a very fine colander over a large bowl) and heavily wet with water.  Allow to soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2.  Dice up veggies and parsley.  When this is done, drain any excess water from the wheat and mix in veggies, parsley, garlic.  Toss all with the olive oil.
3.  At this point you're ready for the lemon juice.  This is all dependent on your personal taste and I like mine lemony.  Squeeze out the juice from 2 of the lemons and pour into wheat mixture, making sure to incorporate thoroughly.
4.  Cover the bowl and leave in the fridge overnight.
5.  The next day test the salad to see if it needs more lemon juice, oil, garlic and/water.  Keep testing until it gets up to your standard.  Like I said, I like mine lemony and full of garlic.  At this point you'll also be able to add salt and pepper to your taste.
6.  As soon as the salad is perfect - serve! It's great with pork chops and steaks.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment