Friday, February 17, 2012

You have some Lent there...

Lent:  The traditional purpose of Lent is the penitential preparation of the believer – through prayer, penance, repentance, almsgiving and self-denial. Its purpose is the commemoration of Holy Week, marking the Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

This could be long so go grab coffee....or a wine...and hopefully this will make sense...

I should start this off by saying that before I get to Lent; I need to tell you about how I got to where I am.

I grew up in a wonderful family and we went to church rain or shine.  In fact, I’m pretty sure there was one Sunday years ago when we went during a snowstorm.  I remember this because it was the first time I ever remember wearing jeans to church which was kind of a big deal.  I’m continuously thankful that my parents put us in church and kept us there.  It’s because of that diligence that I have a relationship with Jesus but I think it also made me more aware of the world around me in a religious sense.  My parents did a great job!

I was raised Southern Baptist and Baptists don’t do Lent for any various assundry of theological reasons.  I’m cool with that.  In fact, I don’t know that I ever really understood what Lent was except that the name was funny and that it was right after Mardi Gras.  I also knew it was something that other denominations and Catholics did...but not Southern Baptists.  Honestly, the idea of giving up TV, chocolate or coffee for just a few weeks didn’t make any sense to me. 

Fast forward about four years after high school. 

I was in my junior year of college at OSU and had decided to enroll in a religion class covering the teachings of Jesus because I needed the electives.  Plus, the research aspect of it made me happy...because I’m weird like that. 

I figured it would be relatively easy, interesting and my friends had all had this guy and he wasn’t totally whacky.  So I showed up to the class which, by the way, was in a big lecture hall and COMPLETELY full and every walk of life was represented.  Athletes, Greeks, scholars, the decidedly non-Greek, a couple of pregnant people, some adult students, and the usual Hippie suspects that make you groan when you see them because you know they’ll never shut up about some topic like trees and why they didn’t want to wear shoes.  If you went to OSU – you know about the barefoot Hobbits. 

ANYWHO, class was led by Professor Mike Thompson.  Mike would grow to be my most favored professor during my time at OSU.  He was a tall, lanky man with gray hair who had been a Baptist preacher but left to pursue a more academic life because he loved teaching.  He also loved to remind us that he was a human being and that he made mistakes just like we did and probably more often.  He was also hilariously dry, sarcastic and I looked forward to the classes I took with him.

Every so often, he would meet students at a coffee shop or somewhere on campus to talk about class and answer questions or give feedback.  I went often and while I didn’t always agree with his theology, I liked how he felt about Christ. 

I ended up one Saturday evening at the Catholic Church in Stillwater.  They had a visiting choir for Christmas and I wanted to hear them sing.  That year was the one time in my life when I think I felt my loneliest for several reasons.  I wanted to get away and to do something different for a change so I went alone.  I think when you show up to a new church, particularly one that isn’t the “kind” you grew up in you feel completely uncomfortable.  I sat in a pew near the back by myself.  The lights were very dim and there were lots of candles and the church was beautifully decorated and people were slowly filing in when someone tapped me on the shoulder.  It was Professor Thompson.  We said hi and he asked if he could sit with me during the service and I moved over.  The choir sang traditional hymns and after the service was over we filed out into the cold.  Mike and I talked about the choir and he and I wandered over to a coffee shop not far and sat and talked.  I was finishing up a paper so it seemed the perfect time to ask him about some of the things we’d covered in class. During a pause in our conversation he asked if I was Catholic. 

“No. I’m not, but I respect them.  I admire their traditions even if I don’t get it”, I said.  He smiled and nodded saying he felt the same way.  At some point, I ended up telling him that I had reached a spiritual plateau in my life.  I didn’t feel comfortable in the church I was attending but I felt that I would be a disappointment to my family if I chose another denomination.  After several minutes of rambling about my issues in life, he crossed his legs and leaned back in his chair and said something that thinking back, I really needed to hear. 

“Do you know Jesus? Is he YOUR savior? If you do and He is, then it doesn’t matter because the rest is fluff.  Jesus came to save us from our sins and to show his unfathomable love for us. That’s the heart of it all and if you don’t feel comfortable, maybe you need another style of worship. We are not all made to do the same things and if Christ is at the center and you know in your heart that it’s right go with it.  Do whatever you need to do to grow closer to Him regardless of what people think of you.”

After that conversation, I realized that I like traditions and observation.  It’s my strongest method for growing to understand and appreciate my Savior.  After college I tried a few churches and finally found the wonderful church I am apart of now.

So all that being said, this is my first year to really observe Lent.  I’ve staved off participating in it because I’ve never truly gotten it.  However, the past few months I’ve been thinking that I wanted to do it this year.  I know that sacrificing coffee, sugar, bread or meat is never going to even amount to the sacrifice that Christ made.  Not even close on any scale; but it reminds us about sacrifice.


Do whatever brings you closer to Jesus whether that’s observing Lent, having a quiet time or raising your hands in church.  It may not be my thing but I appreciate you for it.  I think in the end the most important thing is to remember about this season, any season, is that knowing and accepting a RISEN savior is by far more valuable than what earthly thing you give up or perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment