I have often said that I am of another generation born in the wrong time. If you haven't caught on I'm a big history nerd and that love of history has nudged its way into my love of film.
In my humble opinion, today's Hollywood sucks. Harsh, but true. I mean honestly have you seen some of the unoriginal crap they produce these days? Ugh.
When Christmas rolls around I don't feel any shame in popping in one of my all time favorite movies Holiday Inn. I mean who doesn't like a "drunk" Fred Astaire lightly gliding around a dance floor with a sparkling Marjorie Reynolds while a big band plays? If you've never seen Holiday Inn, go find it immediately. If you're in for a short bit of Christmas trivia, Holiday Inn is the first time in which "White Christmas" was sang. Its set is also the same set they used for the movie White Christmas (which I shamelessly adore).
I'm also a huge sucker for 40s and 50s fashion, Cary Grant, Bing Crosby, Jimmy Stewart..oh and big dance numbers. Which leads me to this - where is my generations dance numbers, real singers and actual talent? What kind of junk will my kids be subjected too? I shall make it my utmost responsibility to introduce real Gold Age Hollywood to my little ones someday. Maybe I'll get some Broadway performers out of it!
So being the classic movie lover I am, here are a few of my favorites:
Holiday Inn
White Christmas
Bells of St. Mary's
The Bishops Wife
Singing in the Rain
Royal Wedding
Casablanca
Rear Window
High Society
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
Harvey
The Flight of the Phoenix
Meet Me in St. Louis
The Parent Trap (the original one...not the one with that crazy Lohan nerd)
The Philadelphia Story
Strangers on a Train
The Maltese Falcon
Well that's a good start...happy movie watching!
No comments:
Post a Comment